[Python-3000] Separating out CPython and core Python tests

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Tue Apr 11 21:02:35 CEST 2006

Neal Norwitz writes:
> Py3k is a great opportunity to upgrade the existing tests.  We know
> they are incomplete and could do a better job testing.  In some cases
> like this, where we are looking to revamp a module.  It would be great
> to also beef up the tests.  Hopefully a lot of that work, will also
> benefit the 2.x series.

There's a related change that I would love to see. Currently, we
have a large number of unit tests, but we have made no attempt to
distinguish between python language tests, and CPython implementation
tests. If we made such a distinction, then PyPy, Jython, Iron Python,
and perhaps others would benefit. Python 3000 might be a good time
to introduce the distinction.

In fact, I don't think "we" even need to do the hard work (where "we"
is defined as the CPython developers). I am confident that if the
CPython team offered to make such a split, then either the PyPy or
Jython developers (maybe both) would happily provide us with a list of
which tests they thought were core language tests and which were
CPython-specific. Guido could review and pronounce on any controversial
cases (I'm guessing there would be remarkably few that weren't
obvious).

All that the CPython team would need to do would be to make the offer,
use separate directories or a naming convention to mark which are
which, and modify the top-level test driver to run both sets of tests.

What'da'ya'think?

-- Michael Chermside