[Python-3000] Separating out CPython and core Python tests

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Tue Apr 11 21:12:33 CEST 2006

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Michael Chermside wrote:
[...]
> There's a related change that I would love to see. Currently, we
> have a large number of unit tests, but we have made no attempt to
> distinguish between python language tests, and CPython implementation
> tests. If we made such a distinction, then PyPy, Jython, Iron Python,
> and perhaps others would benefit. Python 3000 might be a good time
> to introduce the distinction.
>
> In fact, I don't think "we" even need to do the hard work (where "we"
> is defined as the CPython developers). I am confident that if the
> CPython team offered to make such a split, then either the PyPy or
> Jython developers (maybe both) would happily provide us with a list of
> which tests they thought were core language tests and which were
> CPython-specific. Guido could review and pronounce on any controversial
[...]

+1, but why wait for Python 3000?

Maybe add a "resource name" to regrtest.py, so e.g. regrtest.py-u -cpython
ran everything except the CPython-specific tests?

  RESOURCE_NAMES = ('audio', 'curses', 'largefile', 'network', 'bsddb',
-                  'decimal', 'compiler', 'subprocess', 'urlfetch')
+                  'decimal', 'compiler', 'subprocess', 'urlfetch',
+                  'cpython')

(tests then use test_support.is_resouce_enabled('cpython') when building
test suites)

John