[Python-3000] After 2.6 should be 3.0

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Apr 19 06:17:57 CEST 2006

"Josiah Carlson" <jcarlson at uci.edu> wrote in message
news:20060418200406.A81D.JCARLSON at uci.edu...
> Personally, I see Py3k as a vetting mechanism for all those hair-brained
> ideas that really shouldn't make it into any Python version (3k or
> otherwise), with the possible inclusion of things that *should* make
> life better for Python users.  With that said, aside from the stdlib
> reorganization (which should happen in the 2.x series anyways), so far I
> haven't seen anything that necessitates backwards incompatible changes
> to Python 3k, and I predict that many of the changes to py3k will be
> included into mainline 2.x during 3k's development.

The somewhat backwards-incompatible integer division change discussed and
approved some years ago has been suspended pending 3.0, so since I would
like to not have to (indefinitely) import 'division' from __future__ to get
the change, I too, on that score, would like to see 3.0 sooner than later.

Terry Jan Reedy