[Python-3000] Python 3000 and the Google Summer of Code

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 06:29:23 CEST 2006

Guido, are you willing to send this?  Would you rather me, Terry, or
someone else send it?

My changes are inline.  They aren't extensive.

On 4/18/06, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> between May 1, 17:00 PST through May 8, 17:00 PST.

Might as well be explicit. :-)

> The Python Software Foundation (PSF) will again act as a sponsoring

If you send html, you should include a link to the PSF,
http://www.python.org/psf/

> organization matching mentors and projects benefiting Python and Python
> programmers.  Projects can include work on Python implementations,
> programmer utilitilies, libraries, packages, or frameworks.  Project ideas

... or frameworks related to Python

> People interested in mentoring a student though PSF are encouraged to
> contact Neal Norwitz at nnorwitz at gmail.com.  People unknown to Neal or
> Guido should find a couple of people known within the Python community
that are willing to act as references.

Complete version with edits:

Google 2006 Summer of Code and Python Software Foundation

This spring and summer, Google corporation will again provide several
hundred stipends for students (18+, undergraduate thru PhD programs)
to write new open-source code.  The main page is
http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html.  At the bottom are links to
StudentFAQ, MentorFAQ, and TermsOfService.  The first two have the
timeline.  Note that student applications are due between May 1, 17:00
PST through May 8, 17:00 PST.

The Python Software Foundation (PSF) will again act as a sponsoring
organization matching mentors and projects benefiting Python and
Python programmers.  Projects can include work on Python
implementations, programmer utilitilies, libraries, packages, or
frameworks.  Project ideas
are welcome and can be added to
http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode, possibly as links to fuller
explanations elsewhere.

The projects from last summer are described at
http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2005