[Python-3000] Add a standard GUI system

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Sat Apr 29 01:40:25 CEST 2006

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> Better not ship a "standard GUI system" and let everybody choose,
> IMHO.

In this case, I agree.

There is simply no good enough solution for a GUI. There are far too many
advanced different libraries with different wrappers. Some are portable, some
are not. Some are open-source, some are not. Some are GPL but not BSD, some are
not. Some use native controls, some do not. There are legitimate usages for all
these cases. It really "feels" like a standard GUI library doesn't help in any
way. Also, GUI libraries are too huge to bundle 3 or 4 of them (like we have
different XML libraries for different *legitimate* *real-world* usage cases).

> The generic solution is better package fetching, such as apparently done (I
> have not used them yet) by setuptools and easy_install.

Disagree. The mere existence of the stdlib improve consistency among Python
programs. Try finding two Perl programs using the same email library so that
you don't have to read the man page to know what it's doing. Having a cpan-like
system and *not* a standard library is a good way for madness to happen. In
fact, the presence of the standard library is even *more* important if Python
grows a powerful packaging system.

Giovanni Bajo