[Python-3000] Google Sprint Ideas

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 05:36:09 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum <guido <at> python.org> writes:

[snip]
>>> Without endorsing every detail of his design, tomer filiba has written
>>> several blog (?) entries about this, the latest being
>>> http://sebulba.wikispaces.com/project+iostack+v2 . You can also look
>>> at sandbox/sio/sio.py in svn.
[snip]

> That's an example of what I meant when I said "without endorsing every
>  detail".

Here is another detail that I would like to see addressed.
The new API does not seem to provide for a way to read
data directly into an existing object without creating
an intermediate bytes object.

Python 2.x has an undocumented readinto method that
allows to read data directly into an object that supports
buffer protocol.

For Py3k, I would like to suggest a buffer protocol modelled
after iovec structure that is used by the readv system call.
On many systems readv is more efficient than repeated calls
to read and I think Py3k will benefit from a direct access to
that feature.