[Python-3000] Google Sprint Ideas

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Aug 21 06:01:00 CEST 2006

Alexander Belopolsky schrieb:
> For Py3k, I would like to suggest a buffer protocol modelled
> after iovec structure that is used by the readv system call.
> On many systems readv is more efficient than repeated calls
> to read and I think Py3k will benefit from a direct access to
> that feature.

-1. It's difficult to use, and I question that there is any
benefit. I believe readv is there primarily for symmetry with
writev and hasn't any sensible uses on its own. writev is
there so you can add additional headers/trailers around data
blocks you received from higher layers. I even doubt that
exposing writev in Python would make a measurable performance
difference.

Regards,
Martin