[Python-3000] A couple of PEP 3101 related questions

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Dec 21 05:20:22 CET 2006

On 12/20/06, Talin <talin at acm.org> wrote:

> 1) What's the process for editing a PEP after it has been reviewed, but
> before its been accepted?

If you are the original author, just edit it.  If you are not, either get
the original author to change it or email python-dev/python-3000 your issue
and someone can make the edit.

I've recently had some requests to make some edits to the PEP. However,
> I don't want to do these in "stealth mode", like a congressional staffer
> who inserts changes into a bill right before it's voted on.

Just post them here and someone will add them if appropriate.

2) What's a good way to prototype a change to a built-in class? Is there
> a way that you can write a function in Python, and add it as a method to
> a built-in class?

Nope.  Could write it in Python and then in the built-in type have it import
the Python module and delegate to the Python function.

Specifically, what I'd like to be able to do is to add a method to the
> standard string class, and this should affect all strings, even ones
> created via literal quotes.
>
> Specifically what I'm aiming for is to be able to write unit tests for
> 3101 without needing to have the C code already in place. That way,
> whoever volunteers to do the C code can have the unit tests already
> working before they begin.

The above idea should do it.  Otherwise you will need a local copy that does
not have the C version be read-only.

-Brett