[Python-3000] versionadded/versionchanged in doc

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Dec 22 09:55:00 CET 2006

Neal Norwitz wrote:

> What do we want to do with the current versionadded/versionchanged
> markups in the doc for 3k?  Should we remove all references to 1.x
> changes?  all 2.x changes?  Keep them?  all of them?

the right answer is of course to move the documentation over to an
environment that can track such changes, and render things dynamically
based on whatever version/platform the user's interested in.

moving the reference portions of the documentation into the source files
might also be a pretty good idea (DRY!).  I'd say a suitable requirement
for 3.0's standard library is that you should be able to do this:

     import module
     import docgenerator
     model = docgenerator.getinfomodel(module)

and get an information model that contains enough information to
generate a manual page that's at least as good as your average library
reference latex page.

I'll prepare a draft PEP when I find the time.

</F>