[Python-3000] PEP 3107 - Function Annotations

Tony Lownds tony at PageDNA.com
Thu Dec 28 03:48:03 CET 2006

On Dec 27, 2006, at 5:31 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I just noticed that PEP 3107 has quietly been checked in. Thanks
> Collin and Tony!
>
> After skimming it, I have one observation: the grammar in the PEP
> doesn't match that implemented by Tony's patch. The difference is only
> apparent for tuple-unpacking parameters (e.g. b and c in "def foo(a,
> (b, c), d): pass"). The PEP supports this syntax:
>
>   def foo((a, b): "something"):
>
> while the patch supports this instead:
>
>   def foo((a: "something", b: "something_else")):
>
> (I have to say that I like the patch version better. :-)

Ok, updated (and sent to Neal for checkin, thanks Neal!)

> I also note that the PEP uses foo.__signature__.annotations to access
> the annotations dict, while the patch uses foo.func_annotations. This
> is reasonable since we don't have the __signature__ API yet (it's PEP
> 362, but I don't know its status).

I have changed the language related to PEP 362 so that the __signature__
API isn't restricted unduly.

> Finally, the PEP uses Number, Mapping and Sequence as example
> annotations. I'd rather not use those since they could incorrectly
> convey the notion that annotations imply type checking semantics,
> which thety don't (at least not without some kind of decorator).

I've replaced with builtins, but that probably isn't enough of a change.
I can work on replacing with arbitrary class names (like A, B, etc).

Here's what I have currently.

Thanks
-Tony

PEP: 3107
Title: Function Annotations
Version: $Revision: 53144 $
Last-Modified: $Date: 2006-12-22 07:46:01 -0800 (Fri, 22 Dec 2006) $