[Python-3000] Add a standard GUI system

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon May 1 04:42:35 CEST 2006

"Bill Janssen" <janssen at parc.com> wrote

a reply to my objection to his GUI proposal  --
that makes the proposal more sensible to me.

I see you putting forth four propositions.  My wording of them is:

1. Python 3 should (still) have a standard lib GUI system.

2a. TK/Tkinter should not be grandfathered in.
2b. Current popularity should not be the determining factor.

3. The GUI chosen should be Pythonic, rather than a direct translation of,
for instance, Jave or C++ style.

4. An updated and revised version of PyGUI looks like the best choice.

I currently agree with 1, 2a, maybe 2b, 3 to the extent I know the
difference (but would like to see specific examples), and am neutral to 4
due to ignorance.  I could imagine someone agreeing with 1-3 but proposing,
say, Wax instead.  So that should be the most controversial.

One thing I do know about wxWidgets is that it includes a library of utility
functions that are not directly gui functions and that duplicate functions
already in Python.  While it is sensible for wxPython to wrap these, it
would be duplicative to add them to the standard lib.

Terry Jan Reedy