[Python-3000] stdlib reorganization

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed May 31 07:49:34 CEST 2006

On 30-mei-2006, at 19:49, Josiah Carlson wrote:

> "Steven Bethard" <steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 5/30/06, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>>> So, first step in my mind is settling if we want to add one more
>>> depth to
>>> the stdlib, and if so, how we want to group (not specific
>>> groupings, just
>>> general guidelines).
>>
>> I think that having a package level that exactly matches the
>> divisions
>> in the Library Reference (http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html) would
>> be great.  Currently, that would mean packages for:
>
> Agreed.
>
> Though I'm probably a bit strange in that I almost want a top level
> "py"
> package, and a separating of site-packages from the sys.path and
> into a
> top level package named "site".
>
> The former would make clear that you expect the module to be in the
> standard library, and the latter would make clear that you want a
> site-packages-specific module/package.

I can understand the wish for a toplevel package that contains the
stdlib, although I don't think I agree with that. Stuffing site-
packages in another toplevel package seems wrong to me. If I
understand you correctly I'd have to do 'import site.wx' to import
wxPython and that doesn't feel right.

Ronald