[Python-3000] Wild idea: Deferred Evaluation & Implicit Lambda

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Wed May 31 18:10:04 CEST 2006

"Alexander Belopolsky" <alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/31/06, Josiah Carlson <jcarlson at uci.edu> wrote:
> > Now that I have sufficiently specified, please explain to me how a new
> > syntax would improve the current situation?
>
> If you have read past the first paragraph in my previous post you
> would see the answer to your question:

My question wasn't fully directed at you, it was more directed at others
who desired the lazy syntax.

> """
> I think we both agree that adding a keyword would just allow "promise
> (lambda: ...)" be contracted to "lazy: ...".
> """
>
> I am not advocating for the new syntax.  I was simply explaining the
> difference between a promise and a lambda expression.

And I was also trying to describe how you can get similar behavior
strictly with lambdas if you are willing to say "I know I'm passing
around promises".  From what I understand, we do agree on these points,
so I'll let this particular fork of the thread end.

 - Josiah