[Python-3000] Mini Path object

Talin talin at acm.org
Wed Nov 8 11:21:18 CET 2006

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Talin wrote:
>
>> I'm a little confused here about the model of how platform-specific
>> and application-specific formats are represented. Is it the case that
>> the creation function converts the platform-specific path into a
>> generic, universal path object, or does it create a platform-specific
>> path object?
>
> I don't think it makes sense to mix different platform's
> path objects at all. They're not just different ways of
> representing the same thing, they're actually different
> things.

Only true if we're talking about fully qualified paths. For relative
paths, every file system I know of supports the 'name (sep name)*'
syntax to indicate subdirectory structure.

If this were not true, 'make' could never work across filesystems. You'd
have to have a different makefile for every different filesystem type.

-- Talin