[Python-3000] Removing email package until it's fixed

Adam Olsen rhamph at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 19:21:21 CEST 2007

On 8/26/07, Neil Schemenauer <nas at arctrix.com> wrote:
> Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> > -0 on the idea of making "batteries included" include PyPI packages.
> > Anything part of "batteries included" IMO should just be part of the
> > standard install.
>
> I think you misunderstand the proposal.  The "batteries" would be
> included as part of the final Python release.  From the end user's
> point of view there would be no change from the current model.  The
> difference would be from the Python developer's point of view.  Some
> libraries would no longer be part of SVN checkout and you would have
> to run a script to pull them into your source tree.
>
> IMO, depending on PyPI not necessary or even desirable.  All that's
> necessary is that the batteries conform to some standards regarding
> layout, documentation and unit tests.  They could be pulled based on
> URLs and the hostname of the URL is not important.  That scheme
> would make is easier for someone to make a sumo distribution just by
> adding more URLs to the list before building it.

This would complicate the work of various packaging systems.  Either
they'd need to build their own mechanism to pull the sources from
their archives, or they'd split them into separate packages and would
no longer distribute with all the "batteries included" packages by
default.

Or more likely they'd pull them into a single source tarball in
advance and ignore the whole mess.  We'd probably distribute a single
source tarball too, so we'd only burden the developers with this whole
architecture.

-1.  email is a temporary situation.  There are no consequences, so no
further thought is needed.

--
Adam Olsen, aka Rhamphoryncus