[Python-3000] Will standard library modules comply with PEP 8?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 16:08:45 CEST 2007

Benji York wrote:
> Blake Winton wrote:
>> On the one hand, I really like consistency in my programming languages.
>> On the other hand, a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
>
> I call quote misapplication.  Having predictable identifier names isn't
> "foolish".  Having to divine what is and is not "necessary to improve
> readability" isn't either, but is perhaps suboptimal.

On the gripping hand, breaking getattr, getitem, setattr, setitem,
delattr and delitem without a *really* good reason would mean seriously
annoying a heck of a lot of people for no real gain.

Being more consistent in following PEP 8 would be good, particularly for
stuff which is going to break (or at least need to be looked at) anyway.
The question of whether or not to change things which would otherwise be
fine needs to be considered far more carefully.

Cheers,
Nick.