[Python-3000] Will standard library modules comply with PEP 8?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Aug 28 17:26:57 CEST 2007

On 8/28/07, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Benji York wrote:
> > Blake Winton wrote:
> >> On the one hand, I really like consistency in my programming languages.
> >> On the other hand, a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
> >
> > I call quote misapplication.  Having predictable identifier names isn't
> > "foolish".  Having to divine what is and is not "necessary to improve
> > readability" isn't either, but is perhaps suboptimal.
>
> On the gripping hand, breaking getattr, getitem, setattr, setitem,
> delattr and delitem without a *really* good reason would mean seriously
> annoying a heck of a lot of people for no real gain.
>
> Being more consistent in following PEP 8 would be good, particularly for
> stuff which is going to break (or at least need to be looked at) anyway.
> The question of whether or not to change things which would otherwise be
> fine needs to be considered far more carefully.

The prudent way is to change the PEP (I'll do it) but to be
conservative in implementation. The PEP should be used to guide new
API design and the occasional grand refactoring; it should not be used
as an excuse to change every non-conforming API.

That said, I do want to get rid of all module and package names that
still use CapitalWords. Module names are relatively easy to fix with
2to3.