[Python-3000] buildbots

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Aug 30 14:33:08 CEST 2007

> For SetErrorMode, if you're just looking for a non-ctypes wrapping,
> it's already covered by pywin32's win32api, which seems simple enough
> to obtain (and likely to already be present) if you're working at this
> level with Win32 calls as a user of Python.  Nor is ctypes very
> complicated as a fallback.  I'm not sure this is a common enough a
> call to need a built-in wrapping.

However, we can't use pywin32 on the buildbot slaves - it's not
installed.

> For this particular case of wanting to use it when developing Python
> itself, it actually feels a bit more appropriate to me to make the
> call external to the Python executable under test since it's really a
> behavior being imposed by the test environment.  If a mechanism was
> implemented to have Python issue the call itself, I'd probably limit
> it to this specific use case.

That covers the SetErrorMode case, but not the CRT assertions - their
messagebox settings don't get inherited through CreateProcess.

Not sure why you want to limit it - I think it's a useful feature on
its own to allow Python to run without somebody clicking buttons.
(it would be a useful feature for windows as well to stop producing
these messages, and report them through some other mechanism).

Regards,
Martin