[Python-3000] buildbots

David Bolen db3l.net at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 13:49:10 CEST 2007

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

>> So, an environment variable would be useful, but maybe there should also be
>> a Python function available that calls set_error_mode().  sys.set_error_mode()?
>
> Even though this would be somewhat lying - I'd put it into
> msvcrt.set_error_mode. For the _CrtSet functions, one might
> expose them as-is; they do belong to msvcrt, so the module
> would be the proper place. For SetErrorMode, still put it
> into msvcrt - it's at least Windows-specific.

For SetErrorMode, if you're just looking for a non-ctypes wrapping,
it's already covered by pywin32's win32api, which seems simple enough
to obtain (and likely to already be present) if you're working at this
level with Win32 calls as a user of Python.  Nor is ctypes very
complicated as a fallback.  I'm not sure this is a common enough a
call to need a built-in wrapping.

For this particular case of wanting to use it when developing Python
itself, it actually feels a bit more appropriate to me to make the
call external to the Python executable under test since it's really a
behavior being imposed by the test environment.  If a mechanism was
implemented to have Python issue the call itself, I'd probably limit
it to this specific use case.

-- David