[Python-3000] how should we handle changes to the C API?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Jan 29 18:51:40 CET 2007

On 1/28/07, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Brett Cannon wrote:
>
> > My specific need is that PyErr_GivenExceptionMatches() does not have
> > an exception return value.  This sucks for me in 2.6 for deprecating
> > catching string exceptions, but it sucks more in 3.0 since only
> > subclasses of BaseException can be raised.
>
> Given that this would only be really useful during
> the transition to wean people off string and/or non
> BaseExceptions, do we really want to make a permanent
> change to the API with all the upheaval it would
> cause?
>
> Seems to me you can still generate a warning for
> these things, you just wouldn't be able to escalate
> them into errors.

Well, I already solved this in Python/ceval.c, it just doesn't do
anything for C API function calls (I raise the exception when the
comparison opcode is handled).

I was more generally wondering what the plan was for transitioning any
C API changes (if we were even going to do that level of transition).

-Brett