[Python-3000] Python 3000 Status Update (Long!)

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Thu Jun 21 20:46:18 CEST 2007

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 10:33:41AM -0700, Steve Howell wrote:

> Nope, and I wouldn't throw the grammar book at you if you did.  But if
> you said a compound word is a "sum" of smaller words, I might look at
> you a little funny.  :)

It wouldn't be the first time someone looked at me a little funny. :)

> But I'm approaching usability from another direction, I guess.  If I
> wanted to join a series of strings together, sum() wouldn't be the
> most naturally occuring method to me.

I agree that on its own, it's not the most natural method.  However,
once you've already used the + operator to join two strings, you are
much more likely to consider sum() for concatenating a list of strings.
I remember being confused the first time I tried it and found that it
didn't work.

In the end, though, it's really not that big a deal.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/