[Python-3000] Python 3000 Status Update (Long!)

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 20:55:46 CEST 2007

--- Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org> wrote:

> I agree that on its own, it's not the most natural
> method.  However,
> once you've already used the + operator to join two
> strings, you are
> much more likely to consider sum() for concatenating
> a list of strings.
> I remember being confused the first time I tried it
> and found that it
> didn't work.
>
> In the end, though, it's really not that big a deal.

Sure, I agree with that, although I think we are right
to quibble about this, because both problems, summing
numbers and summing/joining strings, are pretty darn
common, so any brainstorm to make those more natural
under the language are worthy of consideration.  I've
had ''.join() burned into my brain pretty well by now,
so I think I'm unfairly biased, and this is really a
case where newbies have more perspectives than most
people on this list.  But I also hate to have a
language be *too* driven by newbie concerns, because I
think Python also needs to be appreciated over the
long haul.