[Python-3000] PEP: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Wed May 2 06:32:36 CEST 2007

I don't know if I can speak on the py3k list, but I would give this a
-1.

Supporting non-ascii identifiers don't fix the bigger problem. People
want to write programs in their own language. Not only identifiers,
but all of the literals on the sintax of python would be better if
they can be on the programmers language, as what the guys from OLPC
want. I think we should defer this pep and try to come with a broader
solution that can work as a diferent dialect of python... something
using the python VM but with a completely different parser. Having a
parser that reads unicode as guido recently suggested is the first
step. Then you could have something like encoding but called language
where you set your dialect of python (maybe this can be set per
account in a system), and for the last part you will need some files
that translate the stdlibrary and anyother library so you can do
stuff like this:

#!/usr/bin/env python
# _*_ encoding: utf-8
# _*_ lang: Portuguese

minha_variável = 2

para contador em faixa(10):
	se contador % minha_variável == 0:
		imprime "oi mundo"

this is useful to teach programming to really young kids and in
places where english is really not common...
but the thing is that just having non-ascii identifiers is not going
to solve your problem.

--
Leonardo Santagada
santagada at gmail.com