[Python-3000] PEP 3124 - Overloading, Generic Functions, Interfaces, etc.

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon May 14 17:29:12 CEST 2007

On 5/14/07, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, it looks like
> there's a general feeling emerging that snipping certain sections
> would be enough. I'd agree with that - my personal feeling is that
> it'd be OK to remove all of the following sections:
>
> * "Before" and "After" Methods (as per Steven Bethard's suggestion)
> * "Around" Methods (as per Steven Bethard's suggestion)
> * Custom Combinations (as per Steven Bethard's suggestion)
> * Interfaces and Adaptation (doesn't feel like a core aspect of the proposal)
> * Aspects (as per Steven Bethard's suggestion)
> * Extension API (currently empty, and that hasn't hampered the discussions!!)
>
> I'd be OK with them going into an additional PEP, but to be honest, it
> wouldn't bother me to see them left out of the PEP process
> altogether[1]. (I don't feel that I have enough experience with
> *using* GFs to comment meaningfully, so I'd be willing to defer to
> Phillip's judgement here).

That would suit me fine, since my inclination is to approve some form
of the basics of the PEP (with reservations I will explain in another
message) but to reject the second PEP.

> [1] But I'd like to see them documented in the final implementation -
> I'm not suggesting they be undocumented features.

I'm suggesting they aren't features at all, except for the extension
API. All the other stuff should be addable in a separate module using
the extension API.