[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu May 17 05:53:26 CEST 2007

Jim Jewett wrote:

> You can use any character in a symbol (~= identifier), including (if
> your implementation supports such characters at all, even in comments)
> Hebrew or Chinese characters.

Lisp is a bit different, because it's always had only a very
few chars that aren't identifier chars, so you're used to seeing
identifiers with all sorts of junk in them. But in Python, you
tend to see anything that you don't recognise as a letter or
digit as "punctuation" and therefore non-identifier.

University of Canterbury,	   | Carpe post meridiem!          	  |
Christchurch, New Zealand	   | (I'm not a morning person.)          |