[Python-3000] need help fixing broken tests in py3k-pep3137 branch

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Nov 4 21:31:11 CET 2007

On 11/4/07, Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de> wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > I'm beginning to settle on the following:
> >
> > 1. concrete types: bytes (immutable) and bytearray (mutable)
> > 2. their common ABC: ByteString (derives from Sequence)
>
> I prefer ByteSequence. Bytes and buffer are a sequence of bytes.

Well, a string is a sequence with additional behavior (the set of
methods common to PyUnicode, PyString, PyBuffer). So ByteString is
more specific.

> > 3. the ABC corresponding to buffer-API objects: MemoryBlock
>
> What do you think about RawData, RawBlock, RawView or RawSequence? From
> my point of view a PyBuffer allows me to access the raw data of a
> PyString or PyBytes.

"Raw" has lots of different connotations (e.g. raw_input() in 2.x). I
like "Memory" best since it indicates directly that it's connected to
the computer's (primary) memory.