[Python-3000] PEP 3101 suggested corrections

Chris Monson shiblon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 15:48:28 CEST 2007

Forwarding to the group for discussion.

On 10/26/07, Mark Summerfield wrote:

There is one thing about this PEP I don't like:

    The available integer presentation types are:

        'd' - Decimal Integer. Outputs the number in base 10.

I think this is confusing (since this will not print a decimal.Decimal
object), and is a throw back to early versions of C. Modern C now has
'i' as an alternative to 'd' and I wish this PEP would use 'i' for
integer rather than the contrived 'd' for "decimal" integer (which
sounds like a contradition because most people expect decimals to have
fractional parts). I guess if 'd' is too late to change then one
"solution" would be:

        'd' - Denary Integer. Outputs the number in base 10.

because at least that fits with octal and hex.

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd., www.qtrac.eu