[Python-3000] Solaris support in 3.0?

Nicholas Bastin nick.bastin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 22:44:22 CEST 2007

On 9/5/07, Gregory P. Smith <greg at krypto.org> wrote:
> No.  OpenSSL hashlib support was added for a good reason.  Its
> implementations are *much* faster as it includes platform optimized versions
> of all hash algorithms that are continually being updated tweaked and tuned.
>  OpenSSL itself also doesn't lend itself to cut and paste very well.
> libtomcrypt is the ideal completely unencumbered basic C implementation of
> all hash and crypto algorithms and is easy to cut from. We already use it
> for sha256/512 when needed, i'll do it for the non-openssl md5 and sha1
> modules in the next week or so.

I don't care where you get them from.. :-)  I would pull them from
NIST myself for the SHA code, and just take the md5 code from the RFC
(because I would argue that anyone who has implemented their own md5
algorithm is tainted by the RFC code anyhow), and play by the
copyright notice.

My interest would be in just maintaining the capability, and if you
want it optimized, there's no reason for us to maintain that ourselves
outside of the OpenSSL code base.

--
Nick