[Python-3000] Unicode and OS strings

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Sun Sep 16 00:22:54 CEST 2007

On 9/15/07, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/09/2007, Gregory P. Smith <greg at krypto.org> wrote:
> > similarly for the environment.  os.environ dict
> > should be bytes object keys and values
>
> You can't have bytes as keys - the type isn't hashable...

ugh, yeah.  as much as i hate to suggest it given my preference for
keeping any encoding out of automatic environment and argument
parsing, just make os.environ keys be latin-1 encoding or make them a
hashable subclass of bytes (yuck or yuck).  someone on windows should
check to see if it allows evil such as utf16 environment variable
names first (i'd hope not, that'd break traditional C/C++ code).