[Python-3000] Unicode and OS strings

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Sep 16 02:44:52 CEST 2007

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007, Paul Moore wrote:
> On 15/09/2007, Gregory P. Smith <greg at krypto.org> wrote:
>>
>> similarly for the environment.  os.environ dict
>> should be bytes object keys and values
>
> You can't have bytes as keys - the type isn't hashable...

That's why people keep arguing for an immutable bytes types.  I keep
seeing long discussions that end up with a tortured mechanism for making
the keys unicode.  Why don't we just bite the bullet and make things
easier and have the immutable bytes type?

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question, but
to post the wrong information.