[Python-3000] Windows, sys.argv and unicode

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Sat Feb 16 17:51:08 CET 2008

Giovanni Bajo wrote:
> Sure, during next week. I'd appreciate if, meanwhile, a core developer
> commented on my proposal at the C level, so that I don't write a totally
> wrong patch to begin with. I'm not really familiar with CPython hacking.

We have dropped support for 9x, ME and NT4 for the 2.6 and 3.0 series.
This allows us to use wide API methods without restrictions. IIRC Win2k
and newer versions of CE have full support for wide unicode.

Several places need an update to support unicode on Windows. This
includes argv, the environment variables and file names / path handling.
 See http://bugs.python.org/issue1342 for another example.

In the last months Amaury, Martin von Löwis and I have done most of the
Windows work. Any help from an experienced Windows developer is greatly
appreciated! We *need* an additional Windows developer.

So if you are interested in getting the problems fixed I welcome you on
board. I suggest that you start by writing down a list of required
changes (file names, function names) and a proposal how to pursue the
issues.

Christian