[Python-3000] Is pickle's persistent_id worth keeping?

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Tue Jan 8 14:15:50 CET 2008

On Jan 8, 2008, at 7:54 AM, J. Clifford Dyer wrote:
> Aside from the concerns of a few developers wanting simpler release
> cycles, this is definitely not the way to go.

I don't mean that "political" (in this case, "business") reasons are
unimportant, but they can be addressed in other ways.

The advantage of decoupled release cycles isn't simplicity (though
that's welcome as well, if attainable), but the ability to update
library packages independently should bug fixes be needed.

I don't think this is a huge deal for the pickle module, but is more
of an issue for some of the wrappers for external libraries.  The
database packages (bsddb, sqlite) come to mind here, but aren't the
only cases where independent releases make sense.  We've certainly
seen that including the "xml" package in the standard library was
questionable at best (and the tie to PyXML exacerbated that horribly).

   -Fred

--
Fred Drake   <fdrake at acm.org>