[Python-3000] Set literal

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Fri Jan 25 19:43:04 CET 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 10:32 AM, Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de> wrote:

> Leif Walsh wrote:
> > Out of almost-pure devil's advocacy, has <> been considered?  My first
> > instinct is that it would be ambiguous with less-than/greater-than,
> > but if someone can convince me otherwise, might it work?  After all,
> > it's the only other balanced pair of punctuation I see on my keyboard.
>
> There are also « and », << and >> for those w/o UTF-8 support in their
> mail client. On my keyboard the characters are available under [alt gr]
> + y and x.

They aren't available on my keyboard, nor on most US keyboards I would
reckon. You can still type them if you know how (and I happen to know how in
any of my environments) but it would limit the set literals to a particular
set of source encodings (most notably, not ASCII.) I find this an extremely
disturbing idea.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!