[Python-3000] Strategy for porting to 3.0?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Mar 20 01:45:06 CET 2008

>     Martin> One option that I envision is that you might keep all sources as
>     Martin> 2.x, and only convert to 3.x at installation time,
>
> How can this ever work?  Aren't there always going to be some
> incompatibilities which aren't covered by -3 or 2to3?  Those will require
> manual code changes which aren't 2.x compatible.

Like which incompatibilities specifically? I'm not aware of any.

There are certainly incompatibilities, but I am not aware of a case
where you can't write the code so that it works correctly in 2.x, and
then works also correctly after 2to3 has done its thing. Most likely,
this wouldn't work for SpamBayes as-is, but I can't see why it couldn't
work for SpamBayes when-changed.

> I view this mostly as an exercise to provide feedback to the greater Python
> community, not necessarily a straight-line path to 3.x support in
> SpamBayes.

Sure. As an exercise, I think it would be most useful if you actually
tried to implement some strategy for SpamBayes that you think other
projects could realistically also follow, and the report if and how
this strategy falls short.

Regards,
Martin