[Python-3000] u'text' as an alias for 'text'?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 21:40:15 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 9:29 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>  In such an environment, you could run 2to3 even at import time,
>  as somebody proposed.

That is even less realistic, to be honest. And many of these modules
are not installed, so there there is no install time. That might
change, the community is moving towards eggs, but we are not there
yet.

>  For the development cycle, it could remain change-test, if the test
>  runner would do the 2to3 conversion first.

Why/how would it? How would it know what to run 2to3 on?

>  I think this problem is highly theoretical.

No, this is a highly practical problem. The practicality of running
2to3 on various magical ways is highly theoretical. I described how
the world looks, now. That is not theory.

> Even if no end-user
>  application is ported to 3.0 within the first year, still: by
>  the time 3.2 is released, all major library packages will be
>  available.

Library packages is, as mentioned, not the problem here.

>  It does, thanks. I still think you can use 2to3 in all the cases
>  you've described.

Then I didn't make myself clear.

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64