[Python-3000] ~/.local [was: Reminder: last alphas next Wednesday 07-May-2008]

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Fri May 2 22:26:12 CEST 2008

> What it means (to me in the context of Unix-y system organization) is
> "this is where I put stuff that I would be happy to have as part of
> the system I was given (by some authority: my boss, Microsoft, or
> Brett Cannon's stdlib PEP), but for some reason I'm not comfortable/
> permitted to install it as system software."

Yeah, I was just pointing out that for me, "~" ports across a number
of different machines, and putting stuff specific to any particular
machine in there needs more thought.  For UpLib, I generate machine
UUIDs from characteristics of the machine, using uuidgen, and store
compiled code and other machine specific things in a subdirectory with
that UUID.  Otherwise, we end up trying to execute PPC compiled shared
libraries on a SPARC platform, or Python 2.5 extensions with Python 2.3.

Bill