[Python-3000] ~/.local [was: Reminder: last alphas next Wednesday 07-May-2008]

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat May 3 01:42:49 CEST 2008

Bill Janssen writes:

 > Yeah, I was just pointing out that for me, "~" ports across a number
 > of different machines, and putting stuff specific to any particular
 > machine in there needs more thought.

Sure.  But AIUI that's not the problem that "~/.local" is intended to
solve.  Also, it's a generic problem of networked environments, not in
any way limited to "~", which should be susceptible to the usual
solutions for multiarchitecture installations (eg subdirectories named
by GNU's CPU-OS-VENDOR convention, or your UUID convention).  In
particular, "pure Python" programs shouldn't much care, right?