[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] Reminder: last alphas next Wednesday 07-May-2008

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue May 6 16:37:04 CEST 2008

skip at pobox.com wrote:
>     Alec> FWIW my vote is for ~/.python. ~/.local comes in a distant second
>     Alec> due to non-obviousness and ~/Python is several light years beyond
>     Alec> that.
>
> I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree.  I find hiding directories
> which contain executable code extremely non-obvious.  Would you prefer
> /usr/.local to /usr/local?  If not, then why prefer ~/.local to ~/local?

Not wanting to speak for Alec, but in my opinion the answer is mostly
because /usr/local doesn't impinge on a home directory listing, so I
don't care that it's visible. Naive users don't go looking around the
filestore any more than they poke around in their hidden subdirectories.

If you want it visible, make a visible symbolic link!

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119