[Python-3000] PEP 3138- String representation in Python 3000

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri May 16 04:46:21 CEST 2008

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Really? Don't you think it's pretty obvious that b.transform("gzip")
> compresses and b.untransform("gzip") decompresses? Or that
> b.transform("base64") generates base64 format?

Well, maybe. I think the problem is that the word
"transform" is inherently direction-neutral, and it
only becomes obvious that you have a direction in
mind for it when you pair it with some invention
such as "untransform".

Maybe it's not all that bad, but it just seems
like it should be possible to do better than picking
a very general word like "transform" and giving
it our own special meaning.

--
Greg