[Python-3000] PEP 3138- String representation in Python 3000

Alexandre Vassalotti alexandre at peadrop.com
Fri May 16 05:40:17 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:46 PM, Greg Ewing
<greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
>> Really? Don't you think it's pretty obvious that b.transform("gzip")
>> compresses and b.untransform("gzip") decompresses? Or that
>> b.transform("base64") generates base64 format?
>
> Well, maybe. I think the problem is that the word
> "transform" is inherently direction-neutral, and it
> only becomes obvious that you have a direction in
> mind for it when you pair it with some invention
> such as "untransform".

Me, I have don't a problem with inventing a new word. It is true that
it would be slightly more appropriate to say "inverse_transform", but
that would be awful to type.

Personally, I find the meaning of transform/untransform intuitive, but
that's just me.

-- Alexandre