Zope Weekly News - Wed, 23 Jun 1999
Thu, 24 Jun 99 11:24:54 GMT
It's been another busy week in the Zope community. Lot of people
announced contributions, and Zope 2 alpha continues to progress. Many
folks seem to be using Zope 2.0, but beware, it is still *alpha*
Probably the biggest news this week is that UserLand (makers of the
Frontier commercial web development environment) are taking a big
interest in Zope. UserLand's Eric Kidd orchestrated support for
Frontier's XML-RPC in Zope. It will be exciting to see how the Zope
community and the Frontier community come together.
* Brian Lloyd announced that Zope 1.10.3 final was released. This is
the current stable release.
* Jim Fulton announced the release of Zope 2.0.0a3. This release fixes
more bugs and introduces XML-RPC support. This release is a source only
* Anthony Pfrunder announced his win32 version of Zope 2.0.0a3.
* Andrew Kuchling announced a new version of mod_pcgi. It actually
seems to work now ;-)
* There was some talk this week about Zope performance. Different
people offered different benchmark figures. Some people think that Zope
is too slow, or requires too much in the way of system resources, while
others suggest that benchmarking is inherently subjective and that Zope
performs quite well for most purposes.
* Eric Kidd announced that Zope now supports XML-RPC. Eric has been
working with Jim Fulton of Digital Creations and Python god Fredrik
Lundh to put all the pieces together. The upshot is that Frontier can
communicate better with Zope now. It looks like Zope is going to figure
prominently in UserLand's Unix strategy.
* Michael Bernstein posted a nice summary of where to find Zope apps.
* Amos Latteier announced a new version of the Z Classes Tutorial.
* Long time Zope user Phillip Eby announced his ZScript DTML
extension. He also released the Let tag, another DTML extension which
will probably make it into the Zope distribution.
* There was some discussion of making Zope international. Ideas were
proposed, but it appears that making Zope adaptable to many languages is
a large task.
* Scott Robertson announced a new version of LDAP Connect Object for
Zope. This Zope extension builds on work done by Anthony Baxter.
* Jeff Rush announced the availability of RPMs for Zope 1.10.2
Amos Latteier mailto:email@example.com
Digital Creations http://www.digicool.com
----------- comp.lang.python.announce (moderated) ----------
Article Submission Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Python Language Home Page: http://www.python.org/
Python Quick Help Index: http://www.python.org/Help.html