Zope Weekly News
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 18:25:36 -0500 (EST)
Zope Weekly News is a digest of some of the useful and interesting
events which have occurred on the various Zope mailing lists and the
Zope.org site. It is published each Wednesday evening.
Any opinions contained in the Zope Weekly News are those of the
* Neuberger & Hughes have announced the release of version 1.0 of
their WorldPilot software. It has been whispered in shady
corners of conferences that WorldPilot could well be Zope's first
Killer App. WorldPilot is an integrated, through-the-web PIM and
IMAP mail client, with collaborative capabilities.
* Software Product: "Simple Directory of URLs", submitted by "Roug"
This handy product manages sets of links to external resources.
It can perform click-through counting, and allows untrusted users
to submit link suggestions (which are subject to review).
* Software Product: "An Extensible, Base Banner System", submitted
"Bill" wrote, "BannerSystem is the beginning of a full-fledged
banner add management system. Currently, it is functional, and
includes a sample implementation that can be used."
* Software Product: "JSplitter", submitted by "brianh"
This is a replacement for ZCatalog's word-splitter. This product
enables full-text searching of Japanese with ZCatalog.
* Software Product: "A simple site mapping object", submitted by
This ZClass product provides three forms of navigation widgets:
"Top Level" (horizontal), "Full Context" (vertical) and a full
Site Map. It requires "lalo"'s Renderable ZClass product. (See
* Software Product: "A simple photo album product", submitted by
A simple ZClass product which provides a means of organising and
browsing collections of images. They can be browsed as thumbnails
in user-configured batch sizes.
* Software Product: "MySQL user folder", submitted by "vladap"
Version 0.4.0 has been released. This release adds a layer of
indirection to the DTML interface files the user folder uses to
allow for multilingualism. Also, anonymous authentication now
* Software Product: "An Interface for MySQL", submitted by
This Products description states, "MySQLdb is a Python interface
to MySQL-3.22. It is designed to be fully thread-safe and will
not block other threads." A patch is included which will update
ZMySQLDA to use this interface, rather than it's older,
The latest release is 0.1.2.
* How-To: "Using Zope on a third-party web host", submitted by
This How-To explains how to set up Zope to run on a Unix server
where you do not have administrative rights, such as on an ISP's
* How-To: "Use Direct Traversal of SQL Methods", submitted by Chris
'Direct Traversal' is a trick which allows you to create URLs
which pass arguments to SQL Methods _without_ a query string on
the end of the URL. This allows more aesthetically pleasing,
The audience for this How-To appears to be Zope newbies and
intermediates with some SQL experience.