ANN: Twisted 1.1.0, the framework of *your* internet
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:12:37 -0500
Twisted is an event-driven networking framework for server and client
For more information, visit http://www.twistedmatrix.com, join the list
visit us on #twisted at irc.freenode.net.
The Twisted from Scratch tutorial is a good starting point for learning
What's New in 1.1.0
- twisted.application, an updated deployment and configuration library.
- Mac OS X GUI event loop integration (requires PyObjC).
- New howtos, including a tutorial, and more web framework docs.
- The documentation is now better organized, up-to-date with the latest
APIs, and in some areas much more extensive.
- Removed a number of broken, unmaintained and unused packages and
- Bug fixes and feature enhancements.
What is Twisted?
Twisted is an event-driven framework for building networked clients and
servers. It contains a powerful and simple networking core, a
full-featured suite of interoperable protocols, among them a powerful
web server and applications framework.
Twisted supports many event loops for both server apps and GUI
integration on the client side, including:
- Win32 events, including GUI support
- Mac OS X
- GTK+ 2
Twisted can run protocols over TCP, SSL, UDP, multicast, Unix sockets
and subprocesses. It also includes scheduling support, threading
integration, RDBMS event loop integration and other basic requirements
for networked applications.
Also included are implementations of many protocols. In some cases this
includes complete frameworks providing facilities on top of the base
- FTP (client only, server needs rewrite)
- HTTP, including a complete web framework
- XML-RPC server and client frameworks
- SOAP server framework
- NNTP and complete NNTP server framework
- SOCKSv4 (server only)
- AOL's instant messaging TOC
- MSN messaging
- OSCAR, used by AOL IM as well as ICQ (client only)
- MouseMan serial mice, and GPS devices
- Twisted Perspective Broker, a remote object protocol
Itamar Shtull-Trauring http://itamarst.org/
Available for Python & Twisted consulting