ANN: Python Support in Technology Preview of Squish 1.1

Harri Porten porten@froglogic.com
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:33:47 +0100

Hamburg, Germany - 2004-03-10 froglogic today announced the
availability of a technology preview of Squish 1.1, the new version of
the automated GUI testing framework for Qt applications.

"After the success of Squish 1.0 we are happy to present an even
better version of Squish. The direction and new features of Squish 1.1
have been highly influenced by our customers. We are excited to be
able to delver what they have asked for" said Reginald Stadlbauer,
froglogic Director of Development.

The main new features of Squish 1.1 are:

- Python support: Squish has been designed to support multiple
scripting languages from day one. In Squish 1.0, support for Tcl was
implemented. In Squish 1.1, test scripts can also be written and
recorded in the very popular Python scripting language.

- Squish Spy: This new tool allows Squish to hook up to a running
application to inspect its objects properties and methods by either
clicking on objects in the application or by navigating the object
tree view. The already existing hook-up mechanism of Squish is used,
meaning the Squish Spy is also non-intrusive and doesn't require any
modifications to the application to work.

- Test script debugger: Instead of just executing a test case, it can
be executed in the debugger now as well. This way break points can be
set, and the user can step through test scripts. This opens up many
possibilities for the future like allowing to execute a test until a
break point and recording from there.

- Automatic insertion of test verification points: The combination of
the Squish Spy and the debugger are the foundation of this new
feature. By halting the test script at a specified point and choosing
objects and properties in the running application, it is possible to
insert test verification points into the test script via the Squish
IDE without having to write the code manually.

"We conducted a survey among Squish's customers and potential
customers to learn about the favorite test scripting language of our
users. After Tcl, Python was by far the most popular one. We are very
happy that we can offer support for this well designed scripting
language now" said Harri Porten, froglogic Director of Marketing.

Other smaller improvements include:

- Basic ActiveX support: It is possible to send key and mouse events
to ActiveX components embedded in Qt applications via QActiveX.

- Better control over the squishserver (--stop command)

- Additional event compression heuristics have been implemented

- Usability improvements in the Squish IDE

- Support for 64 bit and FreeBSD platforms

- All test result logs contain file and line number information

- Better error messages

Squish customers and evaluators can now find this technology preview
of Squish 1.1 in their download area. For more information about
Squish, visit http://www.froglogic.com/squish. If you are interested
in evaluating Squish, please contact us at squish@froglogic.com.

The final version of Squish 1.1 is expected to be released in about
one month.

About froglogic

froglogic Porten & Stadlbauer GbR is a software company offering Qt
consultancy services and Qt-based development tools. froglogic was
founded by two former Trolltech senior engineers, Reginald Stadlbauer
and Harri Porten, who now use their experience and skills to serve the
Qt 3rd party market. froglogic is based in Hamburg, Germany. More
about froglogic at www.froglogic.com.