ANN: Kamaelia 18.104.22.168 Released
sparks.m at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 19:43:17 CET 2010
I'm happy to announce Kamaelia's 4th release of 2010: 22.214.171.124
Kamaelia is a component system based around unix-like
pipelining. There's a strong focus on networked multimedia systems.
Kamaelia's license changed earlier this year to the Apache 2.0 License.
The release is divided up as follows:
* Axon - the core component framework. Provides safe and secure
message based concurrency & composition using generators as
limited co-routines, threads, experimental process based support,
and (simplified) software transactional memory. Includes examples.
* Kamaelia - A large Ol' Bucket of components, both application
specific and generic. Components vary from network systems,
through digital tv, graphics, visualisation, data processing etc.
These reflect the work and systems that Kamaelia has been used
to build. Includes examples.
* Apps - A collection of applications built using Kamaelia. Whilst
Kamaelia includes a collection of examples, these are either
releases of internal apps or exemplars created by contributors.
* Bindings - a collection of bindings we maintain as part of
Kamaelia, including things like DVB bindings. (Bindings recently
changed over to using Cython to make life simpler)
Detail of changes:
Overview of Changes in this release:
* This rolls up (primarily) 3 application and examples branches.
The core functionality for these, as ever, is in the main
Kamaelia.Apps namespace, meaning these applications and examples
are designed for inclusion or extraction into other applications
As a result they act as exemplars for things like 3D
visualisation, video and audio communications, twitter mining,
database interaction and analysis and django integration. They're
also useful (and used) as standalone apps in their own right.
* Examples (and application components) added for using the 3D
graph visualisation (PyOpenGL based) - one based on visualising
collaborations, another based on viewed FOAF networks.
* Whiteboard application extended such that:
* It supports multiway video comms as well as multiway audio
* Adds support for "decks" (collections of slides which can be
downloaded, saved, loaded, emailed, encrypted, etc)
* Removes pymedia dependency
* Change audio over to us PyAlsaAudio directly.
* Adds support for calibrated touch screen displays to Pygame
- For example large digital whiteboards in addition to
existing tablets etc.
* Adds in a "Social Bookmarking system" that does the following:
* Harvests a semantic web/RDF data store for realtime search
terms (relating to live television broadcast)
* Uses these search terms to search twitter, to identify
conversations around the semantic web data.
* Takes the resulting tweets, and stores them in a DB
* Analyses the tweets (including fixing language for analysis
using NLTK) for a variety of aspects, storing these in the DB
* Presents the results (graphs of buzz/popularity around the
* Additionally the system attempts to identify particularly
interesting/notable moments based on audience conversations,
and provides links back to the actual broadcast programmes.
* Additionally provides an API for data, generates word
* Front end uses Django and web graph APIs to presnet data.
Have fun :-)
More information about the Python-announce-list