Sphinx 1.4-beta1 released
shimizukawa at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 08:54:00 EST 2016
I'm very happy to announce the release of Sphinx 1.4-beta1 available on the
Python package index at <http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Sphinx/1.4b1>.
This is the first beta release for Sphinx 1.4 that includes:
* 13 features
* 4 incompatible changes
* 14 fixes of bugs/buglets
from the 1.4a1 version of Sphinx.
For the full changelog, go to <
Thanks to all coraborators and contributers!
What's new in 1.4 (very short version)?
* I18N: figure substitutions by language and figure_language_filename
* Config: suppress_warnings to suppress arbitrary warning message
* Directive: glossary term supports grouping key for index entries by using
classifier syntax (experimental)
* Directive: Support Imgmath (pngmath with svg support).
* Builder: XeTeX and LuaTeX for the LaTeX builder.
* Builder: Add the ``dummy`` builder: syntax check without output.
* Builder: Add EPUB 3 builder (experimental)
* Search: Chinese language search index.
* Search: Japanese language search index by using Janome
* Search: splitter customization for Japanese language search index
* Domain: cpp domain improvements
* Ext: Add sphinx.ext.githubpages to publish the docs on GitHub Pages
* Ext: Add ``sphinx.ext.autosectionlabel`` extension to allow reference
sections using its title.
* API: Add Sphinx.add_source_parser() to add source_suffix and
source_parsers from extension
* Image recognition by using ``imagesize`` package w/o PIL/Pillow
* manpage writer: don't make whole of item in definition list bold if it
includes strong node.
* Remove hint message from quick search box for html output.
* sphinx_rtd_theme has become optional. Please install it manually.
* :confval:`html_extra_path` also copies dotfiles in the extra directory,
refers to :confval:`exclude_patterns` to exclude extra files and
* Under glossary directive, each terms are converted into individual
``term`` nodes and ``termsep`` node is removed.
By this change, output layout of every builders are changed a bit.
* The default highlight language is now Python 3. This means that source
is highlighted as Python 3 (which is mostly a superset of Python 2), and
parsing is attempted to distinguish valid code.
* `Locale Date Markup Language
``"MMMM dd, YYYY"`` is default forma for `today_fmt` and
However strftime format like ``"%B %d, %Y"`` is also supported for
compatibility until Sphinx-1.5. Later format will be disabled from
What is it?
Sphinx is a tool that makes it easy to create intelligent and beautiful
documentation for Python projects (or other documents consisting of
multiple reStructuredText source files).
IRC: #sphinx-doc on irc.freenode.net
More information about the Python-announce-list