ANN: RsFile 2.2 released

Pascal Chambon pythoniks at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 05:29:32 EST 2019

Dear pythoneers,

I'm pleased to announce version 2.2 of RSFile I/O Library, which adds
support for python3.6 and python3.7, and fixes some corner cases when
using PIPEs.

RSFile provides pure-python drop-in replacements for the classes of the
io module, and for the open() builtin.

Its goal is to provide a cross-platform, reliable, and comprehensive
synchronous file I/O API, with advanced features like fine-grained
opening modes, shared/exclusive file record locking, thread-safety,
cache synchronization, file descriptor inheritability, and handy stat
getters (size, inode, times…).

Locking is performed using actual file record locking capabilities of
the OS, not by using separate files/directories as locking markers, or
other fragile gimmicks. Unix users might particularly be interested by
the workaround that this library provides, concerning the weird semantic
of fcntl() locks (when any descriptor to a disk file is closed, the
process loses ALL locks acquired on this file through any descriptor).

Possible use cases for this library: concurrently writing to logs
without ending up with garbled data, manipulating sensitive data like
disk-based databases, synchronizing heterogeneous producer/consumer
processes when multiprocessing semaphores aren’t an option…

Tested on python2.7 and python3.5+, on windows and unix-like systems.
Should work with IronPython/Jython/PyPy too, since it uses stdlib
utilities and ctypes bridges.

regards,
Pascal Chambon