[python-committers] Making the PSF CoC apply to core developers

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sat Mar 5 13:58:23 EST 2016

On 03/05/2016 01:07 AM, Brett Cannon wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 at 15:07 R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com
> <mailto:rdmurray at bitdance.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, 04 Mar 2016 21:31:44 +0000, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org
>     <mailto:brett at python.org>> wrote:
>     > The discussion about the Code of Conduct has sputtered out, so I'm going to
>     > assume those who care to speak up have at this point. It seems to me that
>     > the general agreement is that putting python-dev and bugs.python.org
>     <http://bugs.python.org> under
>     > the CoC might not solve any real issues we currently have, but it won't
>     > hurt anything either (and both python-committers and python-ideas are
>     > already covered). And since the CoC might make some people feel more
>     > comfortable in participating, that means going ahead and flipping on the
>     > CoC where we reasonably can.
>
>     I guess I have one more thing to say.
>
>     Thinking about this, I realized that in fact this emphasis on the CoC is
>     making me feel less like contributing.  I doesn't feel like a large
>     effect, but it is real[*].  Just thought you should know :)
>

> I'm sorry if that's what this thread has caused for you, David, and it's
> obviously not what I'm after.
>
> I guess I'm just worried about the health of this project. I'm doing what I can
> through the migration to GitHub to make it easier for others to get involved
> while making it easier for us to accept the work of others, but the maintenance
> and health of this team worries me. For instance, if you look at the developer's
> log you will notice we only gained 2 core devs for all of 2015 and the last one
> was August 2015: https://docs.python.org/devguide/developers.html. 2013 was the
> next slowest year with 4, but most years are much closer to 10 than 0. We also
> still have no female or minority members.

Not sure how you determined the latter.  There are many kinds of minorities.

Anyway, with the migration to Git it becomes much easier to spot and remind us
of potential committers, as both author and committer info are retained in
commits.  This makes a periodic report (by a bot, presumably) possible that
lists those authors with the most commits, but without commit bit.

cheers,
Georg