[python-committers] Promote Xiang Zhang as a core developer

storchaka at gmail.com storchaka at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 13:32:43 EST 2016

понеділок, 14 листопада 2016 р. 13:09:35 EET Victor Stinner написано:
> Last months, I noticed that Xiang Zhang is very active on the bug
> tracker and propose many enhancements and bug fixes. He contributes to
> Python code, but also to the C code (a rare skill nowadays). Slowly,
> he understood how to produce "good" patches, the CPython workflow,
> etc. I think that his contributions are now good enough to give him
> the commit bit.
>
> As I did previously (for Xavier), I also propose to be his mentor the
> first month: request him to ask me before pushing anything, help him
> with Mercurial, branches, etc. So I can help to avoid simple mistakes
> and to not break the buildbot too often :-)
>
> Maybe Serhiy Storchaka and/or Yury Selivanov may want to co-mentor
> Xiang? Serhiy reviewed many of Xiang's patches recently.

Since the first commit 8 months ago I counted about 50 Xiang's committed
patches, and most of them were committed by me (other 10 core developers
committed form 1 to 4 Xiang's patches). He helped with reviewing  patches and
discussing issues. His C skills was good 8 months ago, and now he is known
with CPython style and workflow. He sees beneath the surface and understands
that he need to consider edge cases and side effects.

From technical point there is no need to grant him commit rights, because I
and other core developers commit his patches. Almost all his patches are
commited (there are few issues in progress and there are few documentation
issues). But for motivating purpose I support this proposition.

Unfortunately there is truth in Berker's words. Yes, Xiang tends to fix things
that don't look obviously broken (for example see issue28398 [1] and
issue28531 [2]). This may have been partially my fault, because I committed
his patches that would not dare to offer himself. He is inclined not to accept
comments obediently, but start a discussion. Not sure this is certainly bad.

But I think he will be more cautious having commit rights.

[1] https://bugs.python.org/issue28398
[2] https://bugs.python.org/issue28531