[python-committers] Promote Xiang Zhang as a core developer

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 22:33:15 EST 2016

On 19 November 2016 at 13:07, Berker Peksağ <berker.peksag at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree that we should look for people who wrote high quality patches,
> but I think we also should look for people who help other members of
> the community by doing *boring* tasks (e.g. review patches submitted
> by other contributors, triage old issues on the tracker, update an
> outdated patch by addressing review comments)

While I agree with this, I don't think it's an either/or situation - I
know when I've recommended folks for commit rights in the past, it's
been because the situation changed from "discussing their patches with
me before I commit them is leading to important changes prior to
merging" to "I'm mostly just rubberstamping their patches, and I trust
them to ask me or another core dev for our perspective when they're
unsure, and to take it with good grace if someone asks for a change
they made to be reverted for further discussion". One of the luxuries
of version control is that only released changes are hard to undo :)

One specific technique that has worked well in some cases is to
explicitly scope a new committer's responsibilities (i.e. the "to work
on X, Y, Z" comments in the developer log), rather than saying "feel
free to approve changes anywhere in the code base". Branching out from
that initial base (if they choose to do so) can then happen over time
as they gain familiarity and confidence in more areas.

Cheers,
Nick.